IVF & IUI Supports
The benefits of acupuncture during an in-vitro fertilization (IVF) procedure
Numerous studies have proven that acupuncture improves the success rates of IVF by increasing blood flow to the uterus and strengthening the ovarian-pituitary connection. It helps to optimize implantation and pregnancy when proper point-selections and techniques are used. Integrating acupuncture into IVF protocols provides a balanced treatment.
A well-known German study conducted in 2002, at the Department of Reproductive Medicine of the Christian-Lauritzen-Institut in Ulm, showed a significant increase in pregnancy rates among women who underwent acupuncture treatment pre- and post-embryo transfer compared to those that did not (42.5% versus 26.3%) .
A study done in Denmark in 2006, based on receiving acupuncture before and after embryo transfer, demonstrated an increase in pregnancy rates to over 60% for women undergoing IVF .
According to Dr. Lifang Liang’s research in 2003 in America, acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine can help to improve the success rate of IVF in the following ways :
- Improve the functioning of the ovaries to produce better quality eggs
- Regulate hormones to produce a greater number of follicles
- Increase blood flow to the uterus and increase the thickness of the uterine lining
- Relax the patient and decrease stress
- Prevent the uterus from contracting
- Lessen the side effects of drugs used in IVF
- Strengthen the immune system
- Improve the quality of semen to create better quality and quantity of embryos
- Decrease the chance of miscarriage
My clinical protocols for IVF patients:
For acupuncture to be truly effective, a weekly treatment should be undertaken by the couple for at least three to six months prior to an IVF cycle. For couples who have already undergone several prior unsuccessful IVF cycles, up to nine months of treatment are recommended.
I accommodate the special needs of IVF, IUI and IVM cycles with a method combining traditional acupuncture, auricular acupuncture and electroacupuncture, to:
- Enhance the functioning of the ovaries
- Balance the menstrual cycle
- Increase the number of follicles
- Optimize endometrial receptivity
- Maximize the quality of the sperm and eggs
- Regulate hormone levels
- Reduce anxiety and stress
- Lessen the side effects of drugs
- Aid changes in diet and lifestyle
Recommended protocol for IVF cycle
Preparation three to six months prior to IVF cycle
Individual treatment plans will be outlined during the initial consultation. A combination of supporting holistic treatments will be recommended such as:
- Weekly acupuncture treatments
- Monthly therapeutic massages
- Dietary changes and exercise
- Chinese herbs
This protocol is required to:
- Regulate hormones (estrogen and progesterone levels)
- Improve the functioning of the ovaries to enhance the production of follicles and the quality of eggs
- Increase blood flow to the uterus
- Improve the quality and quantity of sperm
- Reduce stress
Individual protocol will be determined during consultation according to the patients’ IVF calendar.